Last updated: July 22. 2014 2:33PM - 710 Views
By Lucas Vance lvance@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

LAKE WATEREE — A house fire took the life of a Winnsboro woman Friday night as well as injuring one man and destroying the home, which was located at 2051 Great North Road on Lake Wateree.

Dianna Wood, 53-years-old, was found dead in the upstairs bathroom area of the home along with the couple’s three dogs, which were also deceased.

The call was received by emergency dispatch at approximately 10:55 p.m. Friday night, after a neighbor was awoken by a loud noise.

According to witnesses there was an explosion, which prompted a neighbor to look out the window and view the residence completely engulfed in flames.

After discovering the fire, the neighbor came out of their front door and discovered Dianna Wood’s husband, Bradford Wood, who was able to crawl to the neighbor’s yard after jumping out of the bathroom window and suffering a broken hip.

According to Fairfield County Coroner Barkley Ramsey, the cause of Dianna Wood’s death was carbon-monoxide poisoning and thermal injury due to a house fire.

“Apparently what had happened was the house was on fire and they attempted to get out the back door and the front door, but couldn’t because of the intense heat of the fire,” he explained.

With all exits blocked, Bradford Wood entered the upstairs bathroom with his wife and three dogs and knocked the window out and jumped out.

Dianna Wood was left behind according to Ramsey.

“She stayed in the house with the dogs,” he stated. “She did not jump out the window when he (Bradford Wood) came out.”

Bradford was able to crawl to his neighbors house and tell them the house was on fire with his wife still inside.

Ramsey said there were no other injuries to Dianna Wood and he ruled her death as an accident.

An autopsy was conducted on Wood’s body Monday morning in Newberry, but the results were unavailable at press time.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is being conducted by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office, but Fairfield County Fire Marshal Tony Hill said the cause of the fire will most likely be left undetermined because the house was so badly burnt.

“Everything was burnt and collapsed and we won’t ever find out what caused the fire,” he told The Herald Independent.

Hill said the house was fully engulfed in flames when the fire department arrived on scene, just 11 minutes after receiving the call.

“Nobody saw it because everybody was asleep,” Hill explained. “The fire went on until the neighbors heard something explode.”

Hill noted that the explosion could have been anything from one of the two vehicles, which were parked underneath the house or the gas tank on the barbecue grill.

Bradford Wood was transferred to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta for treatment to his injuries shortly after emergency responders arrived on scene.

Wood was recently released from the burn center in stable condition and transferred to an Augusta hospital.

Ramsey noted that Wood would have to return to the Augusta Burn Center for follow-up operations.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Winnsboro Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com