• A drop-in is held at Fairfield Memorial Hospital from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. for Michael L. Williams, who is retiring as CEO of FMH on Aug. 28. Light refreshments will be served.
• J.R. Green, superintendent of the Fairfield County School District, holds a town hall meeting from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Fairfield Career and Technology Center, 790 U.S. 321 Bypass South in Winnsboro. Parents and residents are invited to ask questions.
• The Winnsboro Farmer’s Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. next to NAPA in the 100 block of North Congress Street in Winnsboro.
Through Aug. 31
• The Fairfield County Recreation Department holds fall sports sign-ups for football and soccer through Aug. 31 at the Rec Center, 1851 U.S. 321 North in Winnsboro. Call 803-635-9114 for more information.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services holds a 1 Hour 1 Lap 1 Cause Recovery Walk at 5:30 p.m. in honor of National Recovery Month.
• A Coming Together as One to Remember Nine memorial service is held at 3 p.m. at St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church for Mother Emanuel AME Church and the Charleston Nine as part of a statewide series of memorial services. Contact Rick Gibson at 803-718-2904 for more information.
• Blythewood Animal Hospital and Make A Friend in Animals holds a heartworm clinic from 9 a.m. to noon at Groomadog, 209 Blythewood Road in Blythewood. Heartworm tests will be $45. A six-month supply of Interceptor will be provided with negative test results. Call 803-606-1136 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sept. 18-Sept. 20
• The Pine Tree Playhouse, 230 S. Congress St. in Winnsboro, stages The Mice Have Been Drinking Again, a one-act comedy by Cleve Haubold. Show times are at 8 p.m. Sept. 18 and Sept. 19 and 3 p.m. Sept. 20. Tickets are $8. Call 803-635-6847 or send an email to email@example.com for more information or to make reservations.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services presents a motivational youth speaker at Fairfield Central High School and Fairfield Middle School in honor of National Recovery Month.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services holds a Recovery Health Seminar from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in honor of National Recovery Month. There is a $15 registration fee.
Sept. 25-Sept. 27
• The Pine Tree Playhouse, 230 S. Congress St. in Winnsboro, stages The Mice Have Been Drinking Again, a one-act comedy by Cleve Haubold. Show times are at 8 p.m. Sept. 25 and Sept. 26 and 3 p.m. Sept. 27. Tickets are $8. Call 803-635-6847 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to make reservations.
• The fifth annual Stop the Violence Walk is held at 9 a.m. Participants are asked to meet at the Department of Social Services Office Parking lot in Winnsboro. The walk will end at the Fairfield County Courthouse.
• Jenkinsville Water Company meets the first Monday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Fairfield County Council meets the second and fourth Monday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Winnsboro Town Council meets the first and third Tuesday of every month at 6:15 p.m.
• Fairfield County School Board meets third Tuesday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Jenkinsville Town Council meets the first Wednesday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Ridgeway Town Council meets second Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m.
• Winnsboro Lions Club meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month at China Buffet. Visitors are welcomed.
• The Fairfield County Disabilities and Special Needs Board meets at noon the third Friday of each month at 408 W. Washington St. unless a special meeting is called. No meeting in July. Agendas are posted monthly. Call 803-635-2154 for more information.
• Fairfield County Emergency Alert Program registers residents to get alerts about emergencies in the area. You must have an email address to register for the alert program. To register, go to the Fairfield County Website at www.fairfieldsc.com and click on the link For Fairfield County, SC Alert Registration.
• Fairfield Memorial Hospital provides free assistance to individuals registering for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act from Monday through Friday. Call 803-635-0209 or 803-718-4930 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in appointments are also available.
• Guardian ad litem volunteers are needed to represent abused and neglected children in Fairfield County. Call 803-286-6064 for more information. Training is free.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services invites Fairfield County churches to help them say no to the danger and deadly impact of tobacco by displaying a permanent “Not On These Grounds” tobacco-free sign. Contact Cheryl Y. Goodwin, Special Services Coordinator, at email@example.com or call 635-2335 ext. 20 for more information.
Out & About includes listings of events such as plays, festivals and the like in Fairfield County and surrounding counties. Items can be submitted in writing to The Herald Independent, P.O. Box 90, Winnsboro, S.C. 29180; by fax to 635-2948; by email to WBHnews@civitasmedia.com; or in person at 127 N. Congress St. Call 803-635-4016 for more information.