• Shagging in the Street is held from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. in downtown Winnsboro in front of the Town Clock. Flashback the Party Band will perform.
• The Winnsboro Farmer’s Market is held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the lot next to NAPA in the 100 block of North Congress St.
• The S.C. Railroad Museum hosts a BBQ Dinner Train with twilight rides at 6:30 p.m. to the historic Rion Quarry Office where patrons will enjoy a barbecue dinner featuring two kinds of barbecue. The cost is $30 for adults and $25 for children. Make reservations at www.scrm.org. The Railroad Museum is located at 110 Industrial Park Road in Winnsboro.
• Lil’ Wood Foundation presents a Back to School Bash at Fortune Spring Park at 6 p.m. The bash includes fellowship, fun and a raffle. All ages are welcome. Call Cheryl Weldon at 803-920-6051 for more information.
• Midlands Fatherhood Coalition invites all interested custodial/non-custodial fathers to attend orientation for enrollment into their program every Monday at 10 a.m. They assist with child support, visitation, parenting and relationship issues/concerns. Also they prepare and assist with employment. Call 803-815-0447 or come by 201 Moultrie St. in Winnsboro between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for more information.
• Winnsboro Town Council meets the first and third Tuesday of every month at 6:15 p.m.
• Fairfield County School Board meets third Tuesday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Winnsboro Lions Club meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month at the China Buffet. Visitors are welcomed.
• Fairfield County Emergency Alert Program registers residents to get alerts about emergencies in the area. You must have an email address to register for the alert program. To register, go to the Fairfield County Website at www.fairfieldsc.com and click on the link For Fairfield County, SC Alert Registration.
• Fairfield Memorial Hospital provides free assistance to individuals registering for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act from Monday through Friday. Call 803-635-0209 or 803-718-4930 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in appointments are also available.
• Guardian ad litem volunteers are needed to represent abused and neglected children in Fairfield County. Call 803-286-6064 for more information. Training is free.
• The Fairfield County Recreation Department is holding sign-ups for youth basketball leagues. Call 803-635-9114 for more information.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services invites Fairfield County churches to help them say no to the danger and deadly impact of tobacco by displaying a permanent “Not On These Grounds” tobacco-free sign. Contact Cheryl Y. Goodwin, Special Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 635-2335 ext. 20 for more information.
Out & About includes listings of events such as plays, festivals and the like in Fairfield County and surrounding counties. Items can be submitted in writing to The Herald Independent, P.O. Box 90, Winnsboro, S.C. 29180; by fax to 635-2948; by email to WBHnews@civitasmedia.com; or in person at 127 N. Congress St. Call 803-635-4016 for more information.