• The Ridgeway Reads Book Club hosts published author Marie Wells Coutu at 10:30 a.m. at 140 N. Means St. in Ridgeway. The public is invited. Contact Darlene Embleton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-629-0093 for more information.
• Carolina Adventure World holds a Bonfire Night Ride. Carolina Adventure World is located at 1515 Arrowhead Road. Call 803-482-3534 for more information.
• The 2016 Polar Plunge at Lake Monticello begins at 10 a.m. Doughnuts and hot chocolate will be served.Lunch will be served before the plunge. Plunge at Noon. Register at www.firstgiving.com/sc‐sc/monticello‐lake‐polar‐plunge. Contact Ross Sparks at Ross.email@example.com or 803-718‐4074 or Bill Dove at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The event is sponsored by the Fairfield County Sheriff’s Department and Winnsboro Public Safety to benefit Special Olympics South Carolina.
• The Carolina Crush AAU Basketball Organization will host basketball try-outs 4:30 p.m. at 1098 Old Lexington Highway in Crooked Creek Park in Chapin. Contact Carolina Crush at 803-792-7222 or email email@example.com for more information. All levels of players for each age division are welcome. The fee is $10 per player. Visit carolinacrushbasketball.weebly.com for more information.
• Midlands Technical College holds the Fairfield Community Dinner at 6:30 p.m. in Fairfield Hall on Midlands Tech’s Fairfield Campus.
• Jenkinsville Water Company meets at 6 p.m. the first Monday of each month.
• Fairfield County Council meets at 6 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of each month.
• The Fairfield Behavioral Health Services board meets from 5 p.m.to 6 p.m. the third Monday of each month. Call 803-635-2335 for more information.
• The Winnsboro Lions Club meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at China Buffet. Visitors are welcomed.
• Winnsboro Town Council meets at 6:15 p.m. the first and third Tuesday of each month.
• The Fairfield County School Board meets at 6 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month.
• Jenkinsville Town Council meets at 6 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month.
• Ridgeway Town Council meets at 6:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month.
• The Fairfield County Disabilities and Special Needs Board meets at noon the third Friday of each month at 408 W. Washington St. unless a special meeting is called. No meeting in July. Agendas are posted monthly. Call 803-635-2154 for more information.
• Chameleon Inspirations Learning Center presents the Celebration of Education Awards at 7 p.m. April 23. Nominations can be submitted at www.chameleonilc.webnode.com. The deadline for certified teacher nominations is March 4. Nominations for all other positions are due by February 12. Calling 803-815-0833 or 803-402-9367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Fairfield County Emergency Alert Program registers residents to get alerts about emergencies in the area. You must have an email address to register for the alert program. To register, go to the Fairfield County Website at www.fairfieldsc.com and click on the link For Fairfield County, SC Alert Registration.
• Fairfield Head Start/Early Head Start is accepting applications for the 2016-2017 school year. To be eligible for Head Start, children must be 3 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2016. To be eligible for Early Head Start infants must be eight weeks old. The child’s birth certificate or other proof of age and proof of family income from the previous 12 months are required.
• Fairfield Memorial Hospital provides free assistance to individuals registering for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act from Monday through Friday. Call 803-635-0209 or 803-718-4930 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in appointments are also available.
• Guardian ad litem volunteers are needed to represent abused and neglected children in Fairfield County. Call 803-286-6064 for more information. Training is free.
Out & About includes listings of events such as plays, festivals and the like in Fairfield County and surrounding counties. Items can be submitted in writing to The Herald Independent, P.O. Box 90, Winnsboro, S.C. 29180; by fax to 635-2948; by email to WBHnews@civitasmedia.com; or in person at 127 N. Congress St. Call 803-635-4016 for more information.