WINNSBORO — The third annual Rock Around the Clock Student Writing Contest was held this year and the awards were given at a special ceremony hosted by the Friends of the Library.
This was in conjunction with the yearly Fairfield County Rock Around the Clock Festival which was postponed until Halloween weekend.
“Even though gathering of the entries were a bit disjointed because of the closing of the schools due to the weather, the students still managed to submit over two hundred entries.” said Virginia Schafer, who spearheaded the project. “This year’s theme was Healthy, Wealthy and Wise – a subject to promote pride in the progress Fairfield County has made encouraging commerce, health awareness and education.”
The students were from Fairfield County schools and ranged from kindergarten to seniors in high school.
The winners were divided into first and second grade, third and fourth grade, fifth and sixth grade, seventh, eighth, ninth grade and 10th grade, and 11th and 12th grade categories. They received a gift certificate from Walmart and a gift card from Subway.
“We wanted to remind the kids to eat healthy and Subway promotes healthy fast food alternatives,” Schafer said.
The winners were as follows:
• First/second grade: Brittany Edmonds, first; Shemoria Davis, second; Alexia Hernandez, third.
• Third/fourth grade: Adrian McMillan, first; Jaden Drafts, second; and Mariana Franklin, third
• Fifth/sixth grade: Devon Saville, first; Alexus Burbage, second; and Taniyba Sampson, third.
• Seventh/eighth/ninth grade: Mykel Beaufort, first; Malcolm Armstrong, second; Lamar Richards third.
• 10th/11th/12th grade: Skylar Isenhower, first; Shelby Trotter, second; and Amari Jones, third.
For the kindergarten participants the sponsors decided to give each participating class a $50 cash prize for a pizza party.
“Fairfield County Arts Council (FCAC) Board member Virginia Schafer and FCAC supporter Frankie O’Neal have pulled off another successful Rock Around the Clock Essay contest in conjunction with the Fairfield County Library Staff and Friends of the Library Volunteers,” said Darlene Embleton, FCAC board member and sponsor.
The winning students of Fairfield County read their winning essays in front of admiring peers, family, teachers and guests at the library in Winnsboro last Sunday.