• “Silk Words,” an evening of Chinese dance, music and culture, is presented at 6:30 p.m. at Rockton Baptist Church, 112 Crane St. in Winnsboro. Admission is free but due to limited seating, admission will be by ticket only. Call 803-530-7486 to reserve a ticket. Silk Words is presented by performers from Guangzhou University and the affiliated art school of Guangzhou along with 30 student performers. The Midlands STEM Institute and Confucius Institute are co-presenters.
• Fairfield Magnet School holds a rummage sale from 8 a.m. to noon. Call the school at 803-635-4810 before Oct. 16 to reserve a table.
• The Kenneth Adamson Memorial Scholarship (K.A.M.S. Fund) presents an evening of recognitions “Celebrating Communities without Walls” at 6 p.m. at the Carolina Event Center. The 2015 honorees are Marjorie Anderson Byrd and Preston Mack. Contact Charles Harrison at 803-635-9266 for more information.
• Friends of the Library meets at 4 p.m. Winners of the Rock Around the Clock Essay Contest will be recognized.
• The Fairfield County Library, 300 Washington St. in Winnsboro, holds its Fall Story Hour Series at 4:30 p.m. Visit www.fairfield.lib.sc.us or call 803-635-4971 for more information.
• The Ridgeway Branch of the Fairfield County Library, 175 Palmer St. in Ridgeway, holds its Fall Story Hour at 4 p.m. Visit www.fairfield.lib.sc.us or call 803-337-2068 for more information.
• The Fairfield County Library, 300 Washington St. in Winnsboro, holds its annual Halloween Costume Contest at 4 p.m. Judging is at 4:30 p.m. Visit www.fairfield.lib.sc.us or call 803-635-4971 for more information.
• The Ridgeway Branch of the Fairfield County Library, 175 Palmer St. in Ridgeway, holds story hour at 4 p.m. Visit www.fairfield.lib.sc.us or call 803-337-2068 for more information.
• The Fairfield County Library, 300 Washington St. in Winnsboro, holds First Thursday Family Night Story Hour at 6 p.m. Visit www.fairfield.lib.sc.us or call 803-635-4971 for more information.
• Fairfield County Council meets the second and fourth Monday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Fairfield County Emergency Alert Program registers residents to get alerts about emergencies in the area. You must have an email address to register for the alert program. To register, go to the Fairfield County Website at www.fairfieldsc.com and click on the link For Fairfield County, SC Alert Registration.
• Fairfield Memorial Hospital provides free assistance to individuals registering for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act from Monday through Friday. Call 803-635-0209 or 803-718-4930 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in appointments are also available.
• Guardian ad litem volunteers are needed to represent abused and neglected children in Fairfield County. Call 803-286-6064 for more information. Training is free.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services invites Fairfield County churches to help them say no to the danger and deadly impact of tobacco by displaying a permanent “Not On These Grounds” tobacco-free sign. Contact Cheryl Y. Goodwin, Special Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 635-2335 ext. 20 for more information.
Out & About includes listings of events such as plays, festivals and the like in Fairfield County and surrounding counties. Items can be submitted in writing to The Herald Independent, P.O. Box 90, Winnsboro, S.C. 29180; by fax to 635-2948; by email to WBHnews@civitasmedia.com; or in person at 127 N. Congress St. Call 803-635-4016 for more information.