• The fifth annual Stop the Violence Walk is held at 9 a.m. Participants are asked to meet at the Department of Social Services Office Parking lot in Winnsboro. The walk will end at the Fairfield County Courthouse.
Oct. 11 -Oct. 13
• The Pine Tree Playhouse holds open auditions for “Dashing Through the Snow.” Auditions are open to anyone ages 18 to 100. Auditions will be held from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 11 and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 12 and Oct. 13. Contact Teresa Reed at 803-444-1149 or email@example.com for more information.
• The second installment of a two-part workshop on conducting family genealogy research on Familysearch.org, a free site run by The Church of the Later Day Saints, is held from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Midlands Technical College in Fairfield Hall, 1674 U.S. 321 Business North in Winnsboro. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot. Space is limited.
• The Kenneth Adamson Memorial Scholarship (K.A.M.S. Fund) presents an evening of recognitions “Celebrating Communities without Walls” at 6 p.m. at the Carolina Event Center. The 2015 honorees are Marjorie Anderson Byrd and Preston Mack. Contact Charles Harrison at 803-635-9266 for more information.
• Winnsboro Town Council meets the first and third Tuesday of every month at 6:15 p.m.
• Fairfield County School Board meets third Tuesday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Jenkinsville Town Council meets the first Wednesday of every month at 6 p.m.
• Ridgeway Town Council meets second Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m.
• Winnsboro Lions Club meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month at China Buffet. Visitors are welcomed.
• The Fairfield County Disabilities and Special Needs Board meets at noon the third Friday of each month at 408 W. Washington St. unless a special meeting is called. No meeting in July. Agendas are posted monthly. Call 803-635-2154 for more information.
• Fairfield County Emergency Alert Program registers residents to get alerts about emergencies in the area. You must have an email address to register for the alert program. To register, go to the Fairfield County Website at www.fairfieldsc.com and click on the link For Fairfield County, SC Alert Registration.
• Fairfield Memorial Hospital provides free assistance to individuals registering for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act from Monday through Friday. Call 803-635-0209 or 803-718-4930 to schedule an appointment. Walk-in appointments are also available.
• Guardian ad litem volunteers are needed to represent abused and neglected children in Fairfield County. Call 803-286-6064 for more information. Training is free.
• Fairfield Behavioral Health Services invites Fairfield County churches to help them say no to the danger and deadly impact of tobacco by displaying a permanent “Not On These Grounds” tobacco-free sign. Contact Cheryl Y. Goodwin, Special Services Coordinator, at email@example.com or call 635-2335 ext. 20 for more information.
Out & About includes listings of events such as plays, festivals and the like in Fairfield County and surrounding counties. Items can be submitted in writing to The Herald Independent, P.O. Box 90, Winnsboro, S.C. 29180; by fax to 635-2948; by email to WBHnews@civitasmedia.com; or in person at 127 N. Congress St. Call 803-635-4016 for more information.