WINNSBORO – Fairfield County might be moving closer to having a handle on how it plans to address recreational projects in the county.
County Administrator Milton Pope said he expects the final numbers for the spending to be brought before Fairfield County Council at the next meeting.
“Staff actually went back and met with each council member over the past week, based upon the draft bid information that had been sent to us and to give each council member an update on that information,” Pope told council during its Sept. 14 meeting. “Where we are at this point is that staff intends to bring back at the next meeting the actual numbers for the council to consider, moving forward, after the adjustments and changes that were suggested.”
Pope said that they were planning to meet with the consultants to refine the numbers. He also said that they have decided to split the public safety portion from the process.
“We actually split out the public safety portion of this which includes the Jenkinsville split station, the fire and EMS station, the Ridgeway fire station and also the EMS station off Longtown Road,” he said. “Council had indicated that we would treat those separately. Then we relooked at all of the recreation projects and discussed those with you.
“We believe there are potentially some savings in those numbers before we get the final numbers before our next meeting,” he said. “But all of that should be able to come to fruition and allow the council to be able to vote on how they desire to proceed on the recreational projects in the county.”
In other business, Pope reported to council that staff will be presenting recommendations for the community enhancement grant to the committee. He said they extended the deadline as directed by County Council and have between 22 and 23 applications on hand.
“Staff will be making recommendations and we will be bringing those back to committee and then to council for your final approval,” Pope said.
Pope also announced that they have sent solicitations to outside agencies about providing concessions for the county.
“We are actually sending out the solicitation itself to our outside agencies so if some of them are interested in that process they will be able to submit,” he said. “But of course we need a quick turnaround on that for the fall season for football and the other things we are having.”
He said the information could be found on the county’s website.
Patricia M. Edwards is the regional editor for Civitas Media’s properties in South Carolina, which includes The Herald Independent. She is also the General Manager for The Herald Independent.