Arrest made, more sought in brutal home invasion

By Kevin Boozer kboozer@civitasmedia.com

January 28, 2014

RIDGEWAY — The Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest in a brutal Jan. 11 armed robbery and assault case in Ridgeway but is still looking for three more suspects.

Curtis Tyon Wright, 20, of 213 William Hardin Road in Columbia, turned himself in to Jan. 20 and was charged with burglary/breaking and entering, theft from a motor vehicle, credit card/ATM fraud and destruction of property.

The charges stem from a case of of kidnapping/abduction, robbery and aggravated assault that law enforcement responded to Jan. 11. Four black males are believed to be involved, according to what the victims told law enforcement.

Captain Brad Douglas said that FCSO does not have a description on the other suspects because their faces were obscured. The break in the case came when Wright was identified on an ATM camera when he allegedly tried to use one of the stolen cards.

According to the victims, four armed black males entered the residence at 28 Rose Lane in Ridgeway. When the door was opened the first person to enter the home struck one victim in the head with a gun and kicked him in the ribs.

Another man in the home was beaten at that time. Shortly thereafter, a woman was discovered in one of the bedrooms, and she was removed from her bed and brought into the living room area of the home.

The three adults in the residence were held at gunpoint by the assailants, forced to undress and bound together with clear, plastic tape. The mother pleaded for the suspects to send her 7-year-old son out of the living room area, so they sent him to his room to keep the child out of the fray.

The suspects then made the victims remove their clothes and demanded drugs and money. They tied the victims together, and as part of the interrogation, tortured the victims by burning them with a hot frying pan.

According to the incident report one of the victims said the attackers continually put the barrel of a gun in his mouth while they beat the other man.

After three of the four men left the residence the fourth fired a single shot into the home as he left. Cell phones, money, electronics and clothing were among the items stolen. Eventually the victims managed to free themselves and called law enforcement.

None of the victims required hospitalization for their injuries but EMS did treat them on the scene. The incident report revealed the victims sustained burns consistent with the ordeal they described to law enforcement.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office at 635-4141.