Ridgeway preparing for council, mayor elections

By Lucas Vance lvance@civitasmedia.com

January 23, 2014

RIDGEWAY — The Town of Ridgeway will hold its general election April 8 for the purpose of electing two council members and a mayor for the period of four years.

Voting will be held at the Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Department, 170 Palmer St. Polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.

Residents must be registered by March 10 at the Fairfield County Board of Voter Registration to vote in the election. Residents who want to run for one of the listed offices must file at Ridgeway Town Hall at 170 S. Dogwood Ave.

Filing opens at 8:30 a.m. Jan. 24 and closes at noon Feb. 10.

The filing fee for the office of council is $15. It will be a nonpartisan election and there will be no party affiliation placed on the ballot.

The seats of Mayor Charlene Herring, Councilman Russ Brown and Councilwoman Belva Bush will open to the election.

Because it is general election, the two candidates who receive the most votes will earn the seats on council and the top vote-getter for the mayor’s spot will be named Ridgeway’s mayor. Each term is for four years.

Ridgeway’s elections are staggered so the entire council is not turned over in one election. Councilman Doug Porter and Councilman Donal Prioleau still have two years remaining on their terms.

If the validity of the ballots are challenged, Fairfield County’s Board of Voter Registration and Election Commission will hold a hearing to determine on April 11 at 10 a.m. at 315 S. Congress St.

Voting credentials

All voters will be asked to provide one of the following types of photo ID at the poll:

• S.C. driver’s license

• S.C. DMV identification card

• S.C. voter registration card with a photo

• Federal Military ID

• U.S. passport

Voters who forget to bring their ID with them to vote can vote a provisional ballot that will count only if they show their photo ID to the election commission prior to certification of the election. Most municipal elections are certified on Thursday, but specific certification dates and times will vary by election. Voters casting provisional ballots will be given notice of the specific date and time of the certification hearing.

Voters can get a free photo ID from their county voter registration office by providing their name, date of birth, and last four digits of their social security number.

Voters who can’t get a photo ID due to some obstacle need to bring their non-photo voter registration card with them to the polls, and they will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot after signing an affidavit stating they have a reasonable impediment to obtaining photo ID.