Generals’ charge no match for Eagles

Kevin Boozer Staff Writer

September 4, 2013

Kevin Boozer

Staff Writer

CHARLESTON — The road proved kind to the Richard Winn Academy Eagles in week two of 2013 when a trip to Cathedral Academy resulted in the Eagles breaking into the win column in a big way.

The Eagles, behind the running of John Coleman, rolled past the Cathedral Academy Generals 50-26.

“We have good team speed and had some luck with that swinging gate play on two-point conversions Friday night, too,” RWA Head Coach Dan Dickerson said. “It was an exciting game and Coleman had another big night for us. Guys were really excited to score 50 points.”

Cathedral got off to a quick start, scoring on its opening possession, but RWA kept them from converting the two-point conversion. Trailing 6-0 the Eagles went on a methodical march down the field led by junior quarterback Matt Taylor.

The Eagles capped the drive with a one-yard touchdown run by Taylor. The PAT was no good.

Cathedral then responded with two more touchdowns to take an 18-6 lead.

The Eagles refused to fold when the game appeared to be one-sided in the first quarter. The option offense opened up running lanes for Taylor and Coleman. On a busted play, Taylor used his speed to electrify the crowd with a 63-yard touchdown run. Austin Knox score the two-point conversion to cut the lead to 18-14.

RWA grabbed the momentum in the second quarter. From his wildcat formation, Knox found Webb Yongue for a 35-yard touchdown pass. The PAT was no good but the Eagles took their first lead of the game 20-18. The Eagles defense forced the Generals to punt on the following possession.

That punt turned into instant offense for the Eagles as John Coleman fielded the kick and rumbled 77 yards to pay dirt. Nic Stillwell scored the two-point conversion and RWA led 28-18. The Eagle defense forced a turnover on downs on the next Generals possession.

John Coleman capped that drive with a 23-yard run for the score. Taylor added the two-point conversion on a running play and RWA led 36-18.

Cathedral was not done for the half, though. The Generals quarterback ran a two-minute drill and got his team into the end zone with a 17-yard touchdown pass. The two-point conversion was good and the Eagles led by 10 at the break, 36-26.

After some adjustments at halftime, the RWA defense dug in for the second half and shut the Generals out the rest of the way. The third quarter was highlighted by a 73-yard touchdown run from Coleman. Mitchell Gibbons made the PAT at the Eagles extended the lead 43-26.

The next Generals possession ended with Nic Stillwell getting a big sack for the Eagles.

As they headed into the fourth quarter, the Eagles added one more touchdown when Hunter Gibbons scored from 10 yards out. Mitchell Gibbons PAT closed the scoring and RWA won 50-26.

Dickerson said the team conditioning and depth paid off in the fourth quarter. The defense did not play as well as he would have liked in the first half but they made adjustments at halftime and were stout the rest of the contest.

“Nic Stillwell had a couple of big stops for us, including a sack and a tackle for a loss,” he said. “Alex Scott also had a good night.”

Kyle Speagle also recorded a sack for RWA. For the game, Coleman led the team with 14 rushes for 160 yards. Hunter Gibbons added 56 yards on 12 carries. Taylor finished with 17 rushes for 78 yards. Knox carried five times for 25 yards. He also threw a touchdown pass and caught a 14-yard pass. For the game, RWA out gained Cathedral on the ground 320 yards to 136 yards.

The Eagles open up at home Friday at 7:30 p.m. versus Greenwood Christian.

“Last year Greenwood Christian pounded RWA pretty good. This year we hope for a different result,” he said. “The guys and our fans are excited so we are looking for a big turnout Friday.”

Contact staff writer Kevin Boozer at kboozer@civitasmedia.com or 635-4016 ext. 14.